Fire alarms have saved countless lives both at home and work over the years. A fire alarm is the kind of thing you don’t want to ever have to use, but are grateful for it when you need it! Unfortunately, many people take these devices for granted and we see many outdated or unpowered alarms. Not caring for these devices can be a fatal mistake…
This fall (and every spring and fall) you should do a checkup on these wonderful little devices. Here’s some tips form the experts at Flinn to help you get the most out of this essential safety system:
- Ensure you have adequate alarms – one on each floor at least, and one within 5m of each bedroom.
- If your alarm is battery operated, ensure the batteries are fresh, charged and installed correctly
- Alarms should be replaced every 10 years
- If you are upgrading, get an alarm that detects both smoke and Carbon Monoxide
- Test your alarm monthly by holding the ‘test’ button on the unit