Now that the days are getting warmer, soom our kids will be outside tearing around the yard, woods, lakes, pools and beyond. Parents should share a few basic electrical safety tips with their children, to ensure a happy and safe summer. Here’s a basic checklist of things to cover with your kids.
Summer Electrical Safetys Tip for Children
- Be aware of the power lines around you, and always assume the wires are live. Never, ever touch a power line. Not with your hand, body, a toy or any other objects.
- Fly kites, model airplanes, rockets and drones in large open areas like parks or fields. Never fly them in an area with overhead power lines. And never attempt to retrieve items that become stuck on power lines or utility poles.
- Never throw items like sneakers onto electrical lines and equipment, and never try and retrieve items from power lines.
- Never climb trees near power lines. Even if the trees are not touching the lines, people may while climbing, and added weight on the tree could also cause contact.
- Never place signs, banners, ribbons or balloons onto utility poles.
- Keep all electrical appliances, toys and tools at least 10 feet away from pools or wet areas and surfaces.
- Never touch and electrical device while you are wet or standing in water.
- Never try and save someone who has come in contact with electrical equipment. Dial 911 right away