The easiest way to save on your electrical bill is to get smart with how you use electricity. Make the smart choices below, and save up to $500 a year on your power bill!
- Turn off the lights – if you’re not using them, shut them off and save.
- Use natural lighting – South-facing windows provide especially great illumination throughout the day.
- Use lamps and task-lighting – If you’ve got lamps, track lighting or under-counter lighting, use it over the main lights.
- Turn off water when brushing your teeth – And when you’re shaving or washing your hands. Don’t let that tap run!
- Take short showers – Hot water is very pricey. Take shorter showers and less baths and save!
- Check and repair leaky faucets – A leaky faucet can cost $30 – $40 a year in energy costs.
- Unplug electronics – Most people don’t realize that electronics are always draining power constantly in their standby modes.
Get a new TV – If you’re still rocking a CRT, the time has come to upgrade to a nice new LCD. It’ll save you in the long run.
Upgrade your computer – If you’ve got a desktop machine, the time has come to upgrade to a laptop.
- Wash your laundry in cold – Save $40 a year by washing your laundry in cold water.
- Fill the washer – By running less fuller loads of laundry, you can save $40 a year.
- Put a towel in the dryer – Save up to $30 a year by reducing drying times.
- Turn down the thermostat – By lowering the temperature by just 2 degrees, you can save 5% on your electric heating bill.